This makes me mad.
This is also the reason why I bought board shorts and a shirt for my daughter instead of the BIKINIS THEY SELL FOR TWO-YEAR-OLDS!
When it comes down to it, Miley Cyrus is neither here nor there for me. I don't know her, and if she wrecks her life it has no affect on me. The deeper issues are what bother me about this whole thing. This is, yet again, an instance in which a teenager THINKS she knows what she wants. A good number of folks, including these people, note that teenage brains aren't capable of adult reasoning...the teenage brain is still developing in terms of impulse control and decision making.
So who cares if the 15-year-old says "I think this will be a great artistic opportunity" or even "It's my body" or some such argument that (while valid in some cases) doesn't apply in this situation! Someone needed to take responsibility for teaching this girl, and keeping sexualized photos of her OUT of the hands of sex-crazed sickos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I feel like I constantly have to fight that with buying clothes for my daughter (well, at least we get hand-me-downs that are usually decent). The styles are often "modest" but they are often just so grown-up looking and sexy. I want my five-year-old to look like a little girl, not a trendy model. Sigh. Of course now that she's in preschool all she wants to wear is skirts and pink sparkles, so all her other more normal outfits languish in the drawer. Peer pressure is a powerful thing.
I'm dreading the incorporation of peer pressure into our happy little lives....
Well said! Unfortunately, and especially with celebrities, they get so messed up when they are teenagers that any chance they had of living a "normal" life get thrown out the window. I'm surprised Miley's father, also a celebrity, didn't step in and discourage the photo shoot and half the other things she has had to do in her young career. You'd think he would have learned a few things over the years.
About peer pressure... It's not all bad. I have had various people exert quite a bit of serious pressure on me over the years (intentional or not). I call them mentors.
Post a Comment