Saturday, April 19, 2008

Final papers

I finally actually started WRITING one of my final papers (and it's not due for more than a week...more procrastination than I ever would have dreamed of at BYU, but good for me here!). As a result, I've come to a conclusion. It won't be shocking, but here it is.

I'm SO glad I'm not a woman living in colonial Mexico.

Reasons why:

I would have wanted to be a nun, so that I could read, write, study, etc.

I couldn't have been a nun, because I have indigenous (here read Native American) blood. No "pureza de sangre" (non-Spanish speakers, this means "pure blood" and was actually a legal thing in Spain back in the day) for me, so no nun-hood.

So I would have had to be married to an overbearing man, because I'm too much of a chicken to die in poverty.

And then I would have been forced to kill myself, so as not to be miserable when I realized that the poverty probably would have been better.


All told, being a PhD student, bad as it can be, is better than that. And I have Ben and BeeBoo, which is a condition I much prefer to being a colonial Mexican nun.

1 comment:

rantipoler said...

Not to mention self-flagellation . . .