Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Reedeet"

So, BeeBoo has manifested more "I'm doomed to be like my mother" tendencies.

She's been combining two words into VERY simple sentences for about a week (maybe 2? They're all the same to me...time is extremely non-linear to me), saying things like "Dada car" and "More ___."

However. Her most frequently repeated sentence is "Read it!", which she says with a book held up to whichever obliging parent seems most available to read book after magazine after boardbook.

I LOVE it. I'm very glad that she likes books. And I can't say that it's because we've been such wonderful parents that we read to her in a consistent pattern designed and intended to foster literacy. Like we're that cool. HA! We do read with her, but it's usually just whenever we happen upon the time for it. So sometimes story time is before bed, sometimes after breakfast, sometimes in the middle of the afternoon.

We have tried to have books that she can get at though...the lower two shelves on our bookcase are strictly BeeBoo based. She can take whatever she likes from them, and put whatever she wants (well, almost) onto them.

So anyway. She now says "READ IT!" And it makes me happy.

3 comments:

rantipoler said...

Yay for books and reading!

FoxyJ said...

Yay! I'm jealous that your child that is the same age speaks so well. But then I remind myself that Little Dude is male and has an older sister to do all his talking for him. Thanks to Dora his vocabulary now includes "backpack" (ba-cack). Well, and that's probably also due to the fact that S-Boogie wears one every day to school and daddy wears one every day too. Today when I was trying to ignore him while reading my book (Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams--I highly recommend it), he climbed up on the couch with a book and sat next to me. So at least he'll learn by example.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I think I'll give her books for every birthday (like you and your paper presents). I think I'll start with the big book of baseball, then go into some democratic babble. ;)