Monday, October 1, 2007

*&%$^@ office hours!

So, below you will find the possibilities for typical scenarios that represent my office hours.

1) I sit. And wait. And lesson plan. Because no one comes. EVER!

2) The day before the test, students come and say "What's going to be on the test?"

3) The day after the test, students come and say "I'm here so you can teach me Spanish."

The third one bugs me the most. I spend three hours a week doing that, and you can't be bothered! So why should I be bothered when you can't even articulate a specific question? I mean, it's not as though I can transmit my years of Spanish acquisition to you, in one fluid movement and complete session, in ONE HOUR!!!!

(deep breath, moment to collect myself)

I like the first scenario the best. It's the most typical and is thus routine...routines work well in my life. I'm good with them. Hopefully my upcoming office hours session will be a day that I can lesson plan to my heart's content, and not have to be forced to actually DO anything. :-)

3 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

When they do that to you, respond in Portuguese. Serves them right.

rantipoler said...

I haven't had anyone come to my office hours yet and it kind of concerns me, but perhaps it's for the best . . .

M said...

Definitely for the best. As for responding in Portuguese, they wouldn't know the difference, I don't think. Honestly, I sometimes wonder about my students. 200 level and they still can't use "gustar" right....hmmmm.