Sunday, November 1, 2009

Absolutely incredible

No, I'm not posting on the rudeness of the kids I handed out candy to last night...I'm saving that for another day. Or hopefully I'll just get over it entirely.

What I'm amazed about is the fact that the woman who won the NYC marathon did it in 2:28:52. That's an average of 5:42 per mile. To put that in context, when I was running and doing a decent job of it (nothing terribly phenomenal, though I do still hold ONE record at my old high school...I imagine that won't last long), I could bust out a SINGLE mile in 5:54. And it was really hard, and I was always really tired. She did it faster than me, and then kept going that fast...for 25 more miles!

Ben's response was "It's not insane, it's all a state of mind." My response to him was "When either of us can run 26 miles that fast, then I'll believe that it's all in your head!"

:-)

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Josh once told me that labor pains were entirely mental, too. To his credit, that was before I went through them myself (and he's not brought it up again). There is limitless power in the mind to override pain, but I'm with you. That sort of comment from the sidelines makes me laugh.

Wise Owl said...

You know what makes me laugh -- thinking about me running a mile. haha! I'm so out of shape. :(

Photo Girl said...

Sorry. I didn't realize that I was signed into my other google account when I made my previous comment. It's just me. I'm not a crazy stalker or anything. ;)