Friday, October 30, 2009

Thank heaven...

...for the lack of H1N1 vaccines! We (meaning Bee and I) took baby J to the pediatrician for a well-baby visit. He got the round of usual shots for a baby his age, but they were OUT of H1N1, so I didn't have to go through my "I only do the immunizations that my kids have to have in order to get visas for traveling some day when they're bigger" schpeal that I've done so many other times. Hooray!

One of the questions that I asked while we were there was about J's funny little pirate-ish crawl. I say pirate-ish, because it's sort of like a peg-legged pirate. He reaches with his right arm, and pushes with his right knee (so with his right side he's lifted up, like you think of when a baby crawls), but on his left side he crawls using his elbow and a straighter leg. The pediatrician looked at me and said "when he crawls? He's barely six months old!" I said yes. She said not to worry about a-symmetrical crawling until he's about nine months old. So that's good. He can keep on being a pirate. :-)

On a totally unrelated note, I hate preparing for qualifying exams. One of my friends (who is a much better student and had much more time to prepare than I will!) just failed his quals. He has the exact same committee as I do. This does not make me hopeful. Add to that the fact that I'm in this sort of endless "I'm building my lists" phase, during which I do nothing but add to a bibliography of things that seem important but I have no way of knowing because I've never done this before...and well, I feel even less like I belong in a PhD program than usual!

2 comments:

Arrow said...

Good luck with your exams! Don't let them consume your life!

Wise Owl said...

Yeah, my baby wouldn't be getting a swine flu vaccine either. It seems like people are vaccine happy nowdays. I don't know anything about qualifying exams, but from your comments I don't look forward to Steve having to do them. He's a yellow! I hope the motivation hits you soon. I'm sure it will eventually if I know you at all. :)