Wednesday, December 5, 2007

2nd Pullman Book

Yes, I finished yet another children's novel. How go the final papers you ask? Not burning through them nearly as quickly as through the children's fiction.

So. My two critique approach was too time-consuming, so I'll just blurt it all out at once for this one. The second book ("The subtle knife") brings in a whole bunch of new philosophical questions. One of the most interesting is the worth of human experience/having a body. One of the witches (I like them...if I were in that world, I'd want to be one; they only have girl witches) at one point in the novel breaks off some "cloud pine" from the branch she's using to fly and notices the beauty of being able to crush and smell it, and notes that angels, who have no bodies, must really be missing out on things like smelling pine and feeling cold. Coming from a girl that used to run rampant and barefoot through pine and deciduous woods in the backyard, I could sympathize with the thought. Thought it was interesting coming from someone who doesn't share an LDS interpretation of mortal experience. That said, if all you think there is, is this life, chances are good you're going to take notice of little things a bit more.

The female circumcision thing I mentioned in the last post was a passing reference. (Also brought out by one of the witches) I still don't know how appropriate even the reference is, though. It's a heavy issue for adults, let alone pre-pubescent kids.

My favorite character died in this book. Sad day on that one. However, he paints a great picture about how being a parent has less to do with genetics than with love. I liked him.

Same general literary notes, with one addition about framework. Part of the current "controversy" about the movie and books lies in the fact that Pullman at one point said "My books are about killing God," but now that the movies are coming out has changed his tune to one of "it's entertainment...I didn't write it as a sermon" kind of thing. (The first one is an actual quote, the second is more a paraphrase) Interestingly enough, however, at least up to this point the books are based on the rhetoric (good v. evil) and construction of reality (the Fall must be bad, not part of the plan, and Eve brought sin into the world...that one's a whole different post) purported by the Catholic church. A shaman character points out that on one side is the part of existence that wants humans to know things, progress, and enjoy human experience; the other side wants humility and submission. That's a very medieval Catholic (note I didn't say "medieval, Catholic"...the Catholic church has changed A LOT since when they burned people for reading/researching/asking questions) dichotomy. By buying into that construction, the author lends it credibility/power. As of the end of book 2, the world is lining up for another battle between rebel angels and "The Authority" (God), and all involved parties on both sides. The "bad guys" want to prevent another Fall, while the "good guys" say it's necessary. Why redo history within the existing framework? Why not create a new one?

Of course, my perception of this comes from my firm belief that "secular" learning and "religious" learning complement each other, and my LDS perception of the Fall as part of the plan. So I want him to write books that work THAT way.

But, having read this book, if I were Catholic I don't think I'd want my kids to read it. There's too much open association of Catholicism with oppression and limitation, and even torture, which I (even not being Catholic) don't think is a fair appraisal of the situation. There are people who say that Pullman is more anti-establishment in general. The problem is that the only "establishment" he's painted so far is the Church and it's extensions. So. I'm not going to check the next book out of the library until my papers are done. :-)

No comments: