Monday, May 31, 2010

Patience

I just don't have a whole lot of it. I'm a planner, constantly looking forward to the next thing. My wonderful mother, thankfully, has taught me a lot about enjoying the journey and just relishing the time that I have now, wherever and however it is. But that hasn't changed the looking forward...at least not a whole lot.

We still don't have jobs. Well, in Ohio. We have them and can continue living comfortably as we are for quite sometime. Which is a nice sort of safety net.

Despite this fact, we went to look at a house in Ohio yesterday. A 170-year-old farmhouse with a 10-year-old addition. An awesome hodgepodge house with interesting angles, odd little quirks, and wasted space as only old houses can have (a room almost like a closet that's on the second story above the tiny entryway, with its own door to close itself off from the rest of the landing of the stairs, and a giant church-style window). It is NOT in good shape. They're selling it for cheap, and we could probably offer a LOT less than they're asking and get it. But then there would be plaster to strip off walls, wiring to re-do, moisture barriers to install pre-drywall, painting, a dehumidifier or other similar system to solve some basement issues, floor to re-sand and re-finish, more painting.....we would be MARRIED to this house...do nothing but pour money into it for years and years to make it livable.

I've started looking into types of loans to make that possible. And I'm not even sure I WANT to do the work! AND WE DON'T HAVE JOBS HERE! Which makes the whole thing moot.

I love the house. Or at least the idea of it....a cool house for my kids to grow up in, that would have a great story to it. And character. And no cookie-cutter similarities to any others around it.

And despite the fact that it's completely a non-issue, I will proceed to worry about it until someone else buys it before we get jobs and can do it ourselves.

That's just what I do. I guess I might as well accept it.

4 comments:

Arrow said...

That's one old house! But I think houses like that often have the most character!

Hannah and Curtis said...

I LOOOOVE old houses, it is probably built better than my new house. My house won't be standing in 110 years that's for dang sure! And lucky for you I know a really good electrician ;)

Photo Girl said...

Em. This is why we are friends.

The whole situation is just so me. I would worry about the exact same things in spite of the situation with jobs and be just as torn up about it.

I have the same problem with looking forward to the next thing, and if I'm right, feel just as guilty about the time I don't spend paying attention to my kids when my mind is on those future things. :|

Oy. What do we do?

HegstromPrattFamily said...

Dale thinks his life is richer because of the planning/anticipating and then doing/living and then scrapbooking/blogging/remembering. It's like getting to live everything three times.