......when General Relief Society Presidents validate my existence. It's even better when they did it in NINETEEN SEVENTY FIVE!
"The Church places no restrictions on a woman's going into the marketplace and into community service on a paid or a volunteer basis, if she so desires, when her home and family circumstances allow her to do so without impairment to them. Women are encouraged to develop their full potential as women, and the Church affords abundant opportunity for them to do so. Well-directed compassionate service, which is according to the nature of women, is but the law of brotherhood in action. It is Latter-day Saint doctrine. "
- Belle S. Spafford
Now, I'm not by any means saying that all women need to/should/have to/whatever work. Just that I really wish that when it comes up that it's ME in school, not Ben, the missionaries we've invited over for dinner don't go. "OH! YOU'RE in school? What do you study? What are you going to do with that?" And when I say teach, they assume high school. Not college.
Anyway. I'm not up for a full-out rant. Just wanted to say that I think it's cool that Sis. Spafford thinks it's allright for me to be a professor, even if the missionaries don't. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So awesome. Sometimes the RS just gets it right, even if the members don't.
Buggers to those missionaries. And boo-yeah to that quote.
Post a Comment