Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Baby J

I shouldn't call him Baby J any more, I don't think, because he's getting really big! He stood up all alone for about six seconds today. It made me smile. He's just the sweetest little guy, I think he's a gentle soul like Ben. He gets really upset if I show anything like anger toward Bee. Which is a good thing for me...helps me behave myself. It's really interesting to me that a child so young can have/show compassion/empathy/whatever it would be in a baby!

He has six teeth now, and is really strong.

Oh, and we're done nursing! He's drinking goat's milk these days (I've read that it's easier on their little tummies than cow's milk, but still has all the fat and other stuff they need). I have pretty crazy mixed feelings about being done. There's part of me that's loving being able to pass him off to Ben for an evening bottle, wear my old clothes again, not mess with nursing bras etc, and not have to wonder if I'm going to get bitten every time we nurse (he'd developed a bit of that tendency, yikes!). But then there's the part that misses the snuggling, and the "ha, only I can do this" sort of pride...and just knowing that I was doing something good and (in some small measure) self-sacrificing for my baby because I love him and want what's best for him. All in all, I guess it's just time. And that's the way it goes.

Bee has started playing mom to me and to J. She's pretty good at it, though sometimes it worries me how bossy she is. I know I have some pretty high expectations for her, but I also know I don't stamp my feet and holler at her to do whatever it is I'm asking her to! It's pretty funny...J just stares at her like she's nuts and then crawls away.

On a completely unrelated note, I got to go for a run this evening. I went barefoot, and with music, right as the sun was getting big and orange. It was GREAT, and I managed to go a whole three miles. That's more than I've managed in a long, long time. And I got in before dark so that the crazies wouldn't snatch me. :-)

2 comments:

rantipoler said...

She reminds me SO much of me as a little girl. I can't even tell you how many times my mom had to tell me "You're not the mom!" I think big sisters might have a tendency to be bossy. It's in our contract. ;P

P.S. I want to be a mom like you some day and know a bunch of stuff about a bunch of stuff. Seriously.

Jared Blanco said...

A-L is going to be an awesome mom. Her kids are going to love her because she is so much fun (and has such a chic shoe selection).

I can see it now: A-L will be the kind of mom that takes her kids to baseball games, the museum, even the library and makes it unforgettable. She'll be the type of mom that camps out in the backyard with her kids, who runs with them through the sprinklers (just because), and is "it" when they play tag.