Friday, February 6, 2009

I'm done being pregnant

No, the baby hasn't been born yet. In fact, he's got another three months to stay huddled in where he is. I'm just really tired, and my back hurts in a way that I never thought possible. I'm not entirely sure if it's nerves or what, but I can't sleep because of it. Hooray!

This tangent leads me into something at least marginally more interesting. A couple of the girls in my program have been really interested in the pregnancy/kids and graduate school combination that I do. That leads to some interesting discussions about having kids in general. One of the girls I was talking to mentioned that she just couldn't understand her friends who loved being pregnant (she's not had any kids). Her thought was that all pregnant women probably loved it. One of the things that I mentioned was that for me, at least, I only like pregnancy because it's part of the process. I mean, it's a really neat experience to get to help create another being...don't get me wrong there. But when it comes down to it, the only reason that I'm willing to put up with all the other stuff (weight gain, body changes, BACK PAIN, nausea, dietary restrictions [ie no queso fresco, ACK], finding maternity clothes, mood swings, losing 1/3 of my students at the beginning of the semester because they're terrified of the pregnant lady, not being able to run....the list goes on) is because I get a baby at the end of it! :-)

So what thoughts have we on pregnancy?

Life goes on. OH! I recently acquired an adviser. Since I arrived here I've been hoping to be able to work with a specific friend of Professor Hegstrom's. She's a brilliant woman, publishes things that are incredibly interesting to me, and also happens to be a wonderful person. I talked to her on Thursday and she's both available and willing to head up my committee! Which I can't even being to express my excitement over.

Bee is just as hilarious as usual. Today we went to the little mini-science-museum in town. She always has a ball...a membership there has got to be the best present anyone has ever given us (thanks Mom!). Anyway. We were wandering around and she looked into the tank where they have two leopard geckos, both of which were asleep and therefore totally ignoring the five or so crickets that had been dropped in for their lunch. She looked at them and said "They're just sleeping right now. They must not be very hungry." I asked her if she was sleepy in the morning and that's why she didn't like to eat breakfast. She said "No, mommy is sleepy in the morning and that's why she's cranky!" Cranky is our new word to describe when Bee throws fits over needless things. I thought it was hilarious. And that I need to be a better mom in the mornings.

And Ben is job-hunting. He's applied for several jobs with the state of Ohio. Which would be pretty great, I think. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Don't worry. This mommy is cranky in the mornings, too. And I used to think the women who loved pregnancy were a myth, but I've recently met three. It's a little weird, even for me, since I didn't feel that way. Excited, happy, a little awed? Yes. Loved every minute? Not quite.

I've also heard that the state of Ohio is a great employer. Good luck, Ben!

rantipoler said...

Yay for the advisor (who I happen to know is awesome). I'm VERY cranky in the mornings. Not to mention any other time I am awakened from slumber.