Wednesday, January 28, 2009

SNOW DAY!


Never have I experienced a snow day in my university career. But I must admit that, even though it's last minute and I still did all my reading/lesson planning, it's pretty great. I haven't measured, but it's waist deep on Bee, and coming on knee deep on me! Everything looks BEAUTIFUL! And since I didn't have to go to class or go teach, we got to all go out to play together.

I remember people in Utah laughing about how it takes so much more snow there to close anything. I have to mention that at least people in the Midwest know how to drive in the snow. They may not cancel school and things in Utah, but it's not because people can handle it any better. In the last few days I've been grateful to watch the people driving around me knowing how to steer with/out of skids, and being patient enough to slow down enough to be safe but not so much that they slide off the road. Which was not my experience while living in Utah. I felt perfectly confident driving in the snow, but was terrified of the people around me, so I walked everywhere when it snowed.

I now know why my mom used to set up a big wooden rack on the back porch and insist that we take EVERYTHING but our very bottom layer off and hang it up before we were allowed in the house. I'll have done two loads of laundry today just for the sake of keeping the house dry. Which is fine, because we've had a blast in the snow, but it's telling. And I only have one! Mom used to keep up with the four of us going in and out constantly when it snowed.

At one point Bee put a big armful of snow onto the belly of my coat and said "I'm putting snow on baby brother!" It was great.

3 comments:

rantipoler said...

The snow on baby brother part is my favorite. Although Vandy never closes, school did shut down today due to a LIGHT DUSTING OF SNOW. Seriously. Barely even stuck on the plants and the roads looked like it had rained a bit. Not only that, but the Social Security office was CLOSED DUE TO THE WEATHER. C'mon, really? What a bunch of wusses. Gimme a break.

Hannah and Curtis said...

Freakin Adorable just freakin adorable

Emily said...

how fun! I'm missing the snow out here. I have NEVER had a snow day in all my Utah winters. ONCE they canceled church.