...that students don't know a whole lot about much.
1) When I jumped up to grab the cord of the projector screen, one of the guys gave a mini-gasp and said "Whoa, are you allowed to do that?" It took all I could to keep from laughing out loud. Admittedly, most women who are seven months pregnant don't jump around in front of a classroom of students....but I probably wouldn't do something I wasn't "allowed to." This one was the least of the "wow, I can't believe it"s....I think it's pretty ok for college students to not know much/care about pregnancy.
2) There is a student in my class who has some sort of movement disorder, or at least I'm pretty sure that he does. He's not said anything to me. Another student came up to me before class one day and said "Hey, what's _____'s condition?" I blanched and said "Well, he's not informed me of anything, and it would be a confidentiality issue even if he had." That apparently was not enough to put him off of the curiosity path...he asked "Well, I wouldn't expect him to say anything. Has the university said anything to you?" I decided to just pretend like I didn't hear him.
3) In an activity in class in which I asked students to identify three basic rights that were important to them, between the five groups they came up with "We have lots of rights, and it's good. I can't pick a favorite one" and "Freedom of speech." I wonder if any of them have any idea what it's like to live in most of the rest of the world...oh wait. Their answers speak for that one.
Isn't it great???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ha! You should have just told the first guy that after the eighth month you have stop because otherwise the baby will fall out.
The last one just makes me kind of sad, although I'm not sure I could name the basics in the bill of rights off the top of my head either. Guess I should just go brush up on that...
I like #1, it's so funny what people think sometimes, I mean yes there are things pregnant people should avoid, but it is not like you aren't "allowed" or are physically "unable". Anyway, hope these last few weeks are going well for you!
#1 - well, at least he was concerned about you (?).
#2 - what a jerk.
#3 - what a moron.
I'm so judgmental . . .
Post a Comment