So we just watched a movie about Roger Bannister. (It was kind of a bummer that I knew going in that he was the first man to break 4 minutes for a mile....killed the suspense a little bit) I think he's a really interesting guy....when they interviewed him after he broke the 4 minute barrier, he thanked his coaches and his pace runners and then said he felt lucky to have done it. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete that humble about anything, and this was a big deal!
Anyway, the point of this post is that no woman has ever done it. (Bannister broke it in 1954 on BeeBoo's birthday). I never ran anything close to that fast (my fastest mile was 5:50...not stellar at all). But at this point in the semester, there's definitely a part of me that wants to throw school out the window and start training for distance running.
Also, in looking for info on women approaching 4 minutes for a mile, I read that there was a woman who ran 100K at a 6:46 mile pace. That's under a seven minute mile consistently for over 60 miles. I'm wondering if it's true or just some internet urban legend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's amazing. As you know, I am NOT a runner. The best I ever did was run a nine minute mile in junior high, and I only did it once. And I have to say, I was quite proud of myself.
Guess what?!?! They just opened a restaurant in SG just like the one that we always went to when we came to visit you, that I can never remember what it's called! Anyway, I am really excited! Yay! And yes, I am missing a few parts of my nativity. Not much though.
Post a Comment