So, I have some serious mixed feelings about this article.
I'm a firm believer in the fact that women and babies should be able/have the right to nurse in public. I nursed Bee in public, and plan on nursing Baby Boy (who needs a blog name) in public. I got lots of filthy looks in airports and in the BYU library, even if/when I did use a blanket to cover up. (Besides a blanket, I was never a very exposed nurser anyway...I'm not comfortable with the fact that a significant portion of the male population will sexualize/objectify me when I nurse in public, despite the complete innocence of my intentions)
Anyway. The thing that has caused some mixed feelings for me is that I support Facebook in its attempt to get rid of pornographic images from it's site....and there has to be a line somewhere. So the "no nipple" rule seems like a reasonable starting point. It's hard to make exceptions....I mean, saying that a baby in the picture makes it okay to show more breast just leaves room for people to exploit children in their pornographic production.
The part of the article that has me totally hacked off is the last paragraph. Bleargh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yeah, I can see both sides (as is usual in these kinds of issues). They do make a good point about the fact that nipples have become the flash-point for obscenity these days--it seems like there always has to be something (legs, necks, nipples, whatever). If you're properly breastfeeding then you probably won't see any nipple anyways. I'm all for greater cultural acceptance of breastfeeding, but for me personally it's usually something fairly personal. I mean, I'm exposing a part of my body that's not usually exposed, and I'm focused on my baby not on those around me. I don't understand people who feel a need to take pictures of themselves and agressively push it on other people. I wish there were some way to raise awareness without it being so agressive.
Yeah, even though I've turned into a more passionate supporter (actually experiencing it will do that, I think), the pictures always kind of weird me out. As do comments from strange ladies at the mall (yes, this happened last week) about how sweet and all the problems her daughter is having and when she'll be weaning. Oh well, I would rather that than dirty looks!
I'm not a mom and therefore not a breast-feeder, which clearly influences my opinion, but I have to say that I absolutely do not mind people nursing in public as long as they are covered. I think women should be able to breastfeed wherever and whenever they like. However, I have to admit that it makes me extremely uncomfortable when women breast feed out in the open. I'm all for no nipples, even guys' or those of a "guy" that used to be a girl. I don't walk around with my chest exposed, so I'm not a fan of when men do it, either. Society sure offers us tons of major double standards, eh?
Post a Comment