Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hooray for office hours!

So the semester has officially started, I officially have office hours, and can officially blog more often now! Hooray.

So far it's just business as usual. We do have some improvements over the norm though.

Ben and I have no overlap in our schedules. As in, BeeBoo doesn't have to come to campus with us at all! It's amazing.

I have basically the best schedule ever...I have all my classes on Monday and Tuesday, then Wednesday and Friday all I do is teach. And what about Thursday, you may ask? I have somehow managed to swindle a free WEEKDAY out of my life. Hooray!!

My theory class is MUCH better than the one I took at BYU (no apologies either...it just is). The professor has a great approach to theory. The first day of class he said that theory done well isn't perversely difficult...it isn't just hard for the sake of being hard. So when we came to class the next week having slogged through 300 pages of Kant's Critique of Judgment, he said "Well. 2 hours of Kant will be exhausting for all of us. Here goes." And we talked about it. And got to say things like "I didn't understand _________." And the professor would say things like "Well, I'm not an expert. This is what I think about _________." It was lovely. :-)

I'm taking a posguerra class and a Renaissance miscellany class. (How much more unrelated can it be, right?) Both seem good. The prof of the Spanish class is really knowledgeable and seems really open to discussion and questions. She also doesn't presuppose any previous exposure to the material on our part. (I hate when you show up to class to discuss a text and they say things like "As you all have seen before..." Well, I usually haven't, that's why I'm taking the class!) I feel in the Renaissance class a little like I used to in Pratt's class...really interested, engaged with the reading and discussion, but totally intimidated because the professor is so over-the-top brilliant! :-)

So life is good. Or will be as soon as they sort out my registration problem. (If they don't, I'll rant about it soon!) I get to take naps, which is a really good thing at the moment. I've been absolutely exhausted lately. And I have time to cook good food. (Though Ben cooks Monday and Tuesday...having all my classes on those days means I don't get home til 6:30 and 7, respectively). Anyway.

Sorry that it's not more interesting, but that's what's going on at the moment.

2 comments:

rantipoler said...

I've had two theory classes and I still don't know what it's like to discuss theory with someone who doesn't believe himself to be at least something of an expert on the subject. Blech.

M said...

Come here! You'd love my prof. He's great.