Friday, August 15, 2008

Reading

I checked out books on three Queens of England (or queen consorts more specifically, some of them, I guess), and two Queens (not queen consorts) of Spain to read in the last three weeks of vacation.

I just finished Eleanor of Aquitaine's biography, and just started one on Isabel I. (I decided to go chronologically...which is actually helping me with royal associations) I think Eleanor of Aquitaine is fascinating, and really complex. She's also the ancestor of practically every royal figure in Europe for a long time after her. (Maybe that's exaggerating....but you get the idea). And I'm already really interested with Isabel's balance between obedience and strong-mindedness, and she's not even Queen yet. (At this point, Ben would remind me that she's actually dead and therefore is done being Queen...but I mean that I've only read that far).

So it's been good reading. And I wish I had started at the beginning of summer so I could have thrown in some French Queens too.

Also, I made some hibiscus/mandarin/rose hip/lemon balm sun tea. I indulged and bought a big glass jar just for the purpose. It's REALLY strong...but I like the way hibiscus tastes. I put some honey in it. That helped a lot.

So today has been a good day, and now I'm taking BeeBoo out for a walk in the park.

1 comment:

rantipoler said...

I wish I were as proactive as you in figuring out the royals. I think I've given up. Not just on royals, I mean on academia. I may have stopped caring . . .