Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"That's not a camisa, it's a shirt"

Thus proclaimed my two-year-old, extremely stubborn daughter. We had been happily Spanish-ing...it makes her laugh when I speak in Spanish, but she's getting better about repeating when I ask her to, or identifying things I point to. She had gone through a series of body parts with funny pronunciations (like "oto," "naliz," "pay," "orefa" etc). Then I grabbed my shirt and said "camisa!" Without a moment's hesitation she furrowed her brow, glared at me and said "That's not a camisa, it's a SHIRT!"

I don't know why that one was less acceptable than the others she accepted.

Along the same lines, on the way home yesterday Ben asked if we could stop and get a movie from the Redbox...I said I didn't have anything to do, so we could watch a movie. I had been feeling sick, so he asked "What is it you like for that? Schnapps?"

I laughed really, really hard. He was thinking Schwepps ginger ale....but it was still hilarious to think of him buying alcohol for me...and especially at the moment. :-)

3 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Makes me wonder why you're feeling sick ;)

I always feel guilty when people ask if I teach my kids Spanish, because I don't. I'm lazy. But there is a school here that does Spanish immersion and I'm crossing my fingers that S-Boogie can get in for first grade next year. And I'm already praying that she'll be OK with switching schools and all that. I think she'll like learning Spanish though.

Little Dude is suddenly in love with Dora and I love listening to him repeat stuff along with it: "Abre!"

Vanessa Swenson said...

ooooh...oh so subtle. Whoop!!!!!
Schnapps! Hah! I'm still laughing out loud.
Is Ben teaching her any of that crazy Korean? Remember when Jorge would say crazy Hebrew sounds and stuff? I just know that somewhere, deep in her linguistic psyche, there are some beautiful allophones waiting to explode.

rantipoler said...

Wow, that could be a JC-ism! My friend Jack said his Puerto Rican girlfriend once told him he was "blind as a goat!" I love hearing about Bee-Boo's adventures in Spanish!