Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Procrastination

My recent habit, newly established while here at my new school, of procrastinating things til the LAST POSSIBLE SECOND, has yet again been reinforced. I got a 92 on the 9-page paper that I wrote in less than 7 hours, over a period of 18 hours. I give all the credit for the great language score to my dear Venom-ous friend who did such a marvelous job of teaching me Portuguese! :-) The rest of it, I can only guess, is the result of this being the 150th (give or take :-) big paper that I've written in the course of my education. I'm sort of torn...I hate that I'm buying into this "do what it takes to get by" mentality, but I'm also enjoying being able to do things like go to the park with BeeBoo, watch movies with Ben, visit family...etc. Balance is nice, except that it makes me feel like a slacker.

There are a few other things I've wanted to rant about...I'm going to steal AL's subdividing idea so that you can skip what you want. :-)

HOME
I went home last weekend. BeeBoo hunted Easter eggs and had her portrait taken (through the generosity of her Granny-Great!), and did a marvelous job of both. The photographer really liked her, and Louie was around to make faces at her so that she smiled in a lovely way. :-)

BeeBoo didn't ever master the concept of gently putting the eggs into the basket...we ended up with lovely "CRACK!" sounds every time.

After the AWFUL week last week, going home felt like someone taking a warm blanket out of the dryer, wrapping it around my shoulders and telling me to sit on the couch watching Jane Austen film adaptations while they give me tea to drink. :-) (Like I can't think of a certain aunt who's actually done that before...)

SUMMER TEACHING
I'm not teaching in the summer. As happy as I am because of the MASS quantities of free time I'll have to paint and settle us in our new apartment, it's going to make finances hard. I've been spoiled long enough now that finding a non-teaching job is looking anything but appealing. Maybe Ben's internship will be paid (oh, hope of hopes).

CLASSES
STILL don't have my transfer credits. Which means I still don't know how long I'm going to be doing coursework. Which means my need to control my planning at least a year out is TOTALLY frustrated. Which means that I can't confidently say when this next baby will be able to come into my picture. (I've been ready for about 6 months now, which means that in all likelihood it won't matter what they say and I'll have a baby in about a year) It's just frustrating to have something as insignificant as bureaucracy affect something as important as my desire to add to our family....the only way I can sum THAT feeling up is BLEAH!

But on a good note, since I'm fulfilling one of my foreign language requirements with a graduate level Portuguese course, they're going to count it not only as language, but toward my total credit hour requirement. Small blessings, I guess. Hooray for AL and Venom convincing me that I could do it...

6 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Yeah, the inability to plan things is really frustrating. We're still trying to figure out what we're going to do when we're jobless and homeless between June and September, not to mention the long-term planning of school for the next year. Blah. I did just get offered a four-year fellowship (!) and it looks cool, but it also makes me nervous about having another kid at some point because the requirements are pretty strict and all that. I think I'm going to end up having kids that are six years apart or something...

M said...

A four-year fellowship pretty much just rocks. Is it with or without teaching?

FoxyJ said...

It's actually a pretty big thing and I'm not sure whether to feel intimidated or flattered. The college of Humanities designates two or three "presidential scholars" each year out of all new grad students and we get to be on a special committee and plan a symposium and collaborate and all that with the "Humanities Institute". They pay my tuition for four years plus a monthly stipend. I can't teach the first year or the fourth (dissertation), but I am required to the second and third years. I think it sounds pretty cool, but like I said, I feel intimidated as well looking at the qualifications of other students. But, I don't have to teach next year. And I realized today that teaching Comp Lit means I only have to teach three days a week :)

Hannah and Curtis said...

Emily you know me I've been procrastinating for years! I work better under pressure, actually that's probably not true you are certainly the brains of the family. I' jealous that you got to go home for Easter and it's so far away from me! Oh well my time to visit will come... SOON I hope.

Vanessa Swenson said...

You can so rock the Portuguese.
Good luck with the job situation. I'm not gonna have a teaching job in the summer either, which bugs. Oh well...I've gotta get a real full-time job now, I guess. Thhfpmmph

rantipoler said...

If it makes you feel any better, I don't even know what courses they're offering next semester. And I agree with Venom about you and your Portuguese rockage. I'm not teaching during the summer, either, so I'm in the process of job hunting. Hope I can pay the rent. Also, I totally want an Easter picture of BeeBoo!!