1) I'm fed up enough with my department's policy on coursework, and the fact that at the moment it looks like I'm going to be forced to do THREE YEARS of classes instead of two because they won't accept some of my MA credits, that I am seriously considering not finishing my PhD.
Rash, you say?
If I were doing it just because I'm mad, yes.
But here's the thing. If I have to do three years of coursework, I'll have to take my exams my fourth year (instead of my third) and then I'll have two options: finish my dissertation in one year, my fifth (which is impossible), or stay on beyond my funding for a sixth. I'm not willing to shell out what they charge for out-of-state tuition here. So if it's going to take me longer than they'll fund to graduate, I'm not willing to do it and may as well just quit now.
2) And on a much lighter note, yesterday at 7:30 pm I had not yet started my 9-page research paper for one of my classes. Not really a big deal, except for the fact that it's due today at 2:30. I've recently fallen into this TERRIFYING trend of procrastinating things until the last minute (I've had nightmares about two hours that I counted on to finish something ticking away in moments). But so far things have been fine, and this paper is no different. Last night by 12:30 I had 6.5 pages. I got up at 7 this morning, came in to my office, and just rounded off the ninth page about five minutes ago.
This is a good thing.
So, those are my two school things. I'll be sure to post on whether or not I can demand my way forcefully enough to get out of here in a reasonable amount of time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
How long will it take to get resident status? Or are you trying to keep residency in another state for some reason? That sounds yucky. I wonder if I should find out whether that will happen to me before I commit. Not sure how long I want to drag out my degree either.
Hmmm I hadn't considered that. Might work. But I have no idea how long it'll take.
I may be ranting unnecessarily...I still haven't exhausted the appeals for transfer credits and whatnot...it just makes me mad. They accepted 27 of my friend's credits...what do they have against BYU?
I won't go ABD if you won't . . .
Oh, heck, if I get to that point I'll sure finish...but it's GETTING there.
If I have to spend three years before they'll even let me take exams, that's four before I'm ABD. So, if I get to being ABD, I'm certainly not stopping there...
Post a Comment