.....well, then again, he did.
Governor Romney just said that the way he would equalize pay between men and women would be to make sure women had enough flexibility to get home early and make dinner.
For one thing, he didn't answer the question. He didn't say "This is what I will do," he spun some un-fact-checkable story aimed at making himself more likeable in the eyes of women voters.
For another, I don't need a flexible schedule. I got home after a full work day today, and within 15 minutes had dinner on the table. The days that I don't do that, my husband makes dinner. Yeah, cause he can do that. That's how families with two working parents need to function if everyone's going to survive. Partnerships. Valuing both contributors. Recognizing that there's no such thing as "women's work," just work that needs done. Apparently Governor Romney can't see that. Based on his telling of it, you should only hire a woman if you're willing to let her leave work whenever she feels like it - but you should do that, because women deserve special treatment? I wasn't clear on why he seemed to think it was okay to create a reverse double standard for women. Thank you very much, Governor, but I want the same pay as the men in my department because I do the same job they do, put in the same hours. The fact that I still manage to keep up with my family responsibilities has no bearing on the matter (other than for me to be able to say that working doesn't keep me from being a kickass mom).
For yet another, women who DON'T work the same hours as men ought not to make the same amount of money. And vice versa. I know of no woman who is asking to make the same salary for less work, only one who wants reasonable accommodation (like maternity leave - not even paid, just the assurance of having a job post-baby).
Don't get me started on the objectification of women - apparently we talk about men who are applicants but have binders full of women. Not resumes.
Geesh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Just because it's awesome:
http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/joannabrooks/6525/the_mormon_girl%27s_guide_to_equal_opportunity_in_the_workplace/
Post a Comment