Friday, May 25, 2012

Flying

I haven't traveled by plane alone with my kids for some time.  We've done mostly driving for the last several years.  This summer we'll be going to see Mom in Texas (poor Ben has to stay home and work - hooray for my teaching job!!), and I'm pretty excited about it.

I don't know if it's because my kids are pretty self-contained or some other reason, but I've never dreaded flying or felt the need to tell horror stories about how awful a traveling day was.  I like the fact that we can travel quickly and easily and in relative comfort over long distances.

This guy's perspective makes me smile, and I largely agree with it.

So I was really surprised by the reaction to United Airlines' decision to end pre-boarding.  People are all up-in-arms about the fact that families with small children won't get extra time to board.  Like "Oh, well, we won't be flying with THEM, then" kind of upset.

Personally, I've never "taken advantage of" (read: allowed myself to be corralled into) getting on the plane before everyone else.  When I've traveled with my kids, we've brought one bag that I've carried and one bag that Bee carried (this upcoming trip the kids will each have their own bag since J is big enough to not topple over from carrying his).  We don't bring carseats and strollers and all of the paraphernalia, or if we do we pay to check them.  Just the kids, me, one bag of stuff to keep them busy (Bee's bag) and snacks/diapers/one change of clothes necessities in the other (mine).  They get settled quickly, we don't hold people up.

I've never seen the sense in making small children, the most likely to get antsy from being cooped up over the duration of a flight, sit on the plane FOR LONGER THAN EVERYONE ELSE!  It seems to me like a recipe for disaster.

So I'm glad that now there's no "hey, you incapable folks with children, get on the plane first so that your kids can get restless and start fidgeting and making everyone else dread the rest of the flight" announcement that will make everyone around me say "You know, they said you can get on with your kids" and me need to reply "No thanks, we're going to board with our zone" and have them look at me like I'm an idiot.

I know there's a big rush to be the first one on the plane, the first one settled, the first one off the plane....I've just never understood it or felt the need to be part of it.

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Some people make traveling a much bigger deal than it needs to be. I love that Southwest allows me 2 extra items for free when I'm traveling with a child (stroller and carseat), and I like that they are quick to offer me an extra pass through security for someone to help me to the gate when I'm traveling alone. Not because so can't handle my kids but because sometimes it's nice to be able to visit a restroom alone. All that said, boarding early, when we've done it, has never made things any easier. I hope yoy have a wonderful trip!

Kimberly said...

Also, that video clip is awesome.

rantipoler said...

That video clip is awesome.

I have to say, when I flew with LB to El Paso, he was too little to sit in the stroller without the car seat, and I couldn't figure out how to get through the airport (and go to the bathroom) with him in his carrier, so we went through with my backpack, his diaper bag, car seat, and stroller. We checked those last two at the gate, but it was a major, major, major ordeal. I boarded first because I was so exhausted from carrying him and all that stuff that I just wanted to sit down. To make things worse, he screamed during the entire flight (he rejected my efforts to nurse him because he decided he didn't want to eat while covered). Also, there were plenty of people who shot me nasty looks, pushed past me, muttered rude comments under their breath, etc. It was awful, and I'm never flying by myself with an infant again. Obviously I'm an incompetent parent when it comes to traveling with a little one. Well, I'm incompetent in a lot of other ways, but that's a story for another long comment . . .

Kimberly said...

No way are you incompetent, A-L! Traveling with a toddler is WAY different than traveling with an infant. I've never done the latter alone and I hope never to have to for the exact reasons you outlined. It's much different (and a lot more relaxed, like Em said) when the child can walk and follow basic commands.

M said...

Okay, you're not incompetent. Traveling with a nursing baby is an entity unto itself - totally different rules.

I think the only reason I survived it when I did it was that I carried the babies in a sling (was traveling to places where people had car seats for me) and didn't care if I was covered or not while nursing.

And I was subjected to the same rude comments/dirty looks that you mention, even though I've never had the misfortune to be trying to help soothe a baby who's screaming through an entire flight.

Whether or not the baby is screaming, there will be some people who are rude.

rantipoler said...

Sorry about my comment. I wrote it on a day I was feeling particularly self-destructive. I came back to delete it, but then you wonderful people already commented. Again, sorry. I just don't usually feel very confident about my parenting skills/abilities as a general rule.

rantipoler said...

And isn't it amazing how few people in the world are kid-friendly? :/