I know this. Accepting it is still somewhat problematic for me from time to time.
I found another article, but unlike the last one that piqued my interest, this one raised my hackles.
Illegal immigration is a tricky issue. I used to have a good, solidly-formed opinion that people should buck up and go through the system. Then I served a Spanish-speaking stateside mission. And met people who had tried to navigate the process and ended up with nothing but wasted time and massive attorney fees. And people who lost their chance at an education because the government made mistakes and realized them at the at the last minute.
I'm grateful for the LDS church's surprisingly progressive stance on this issue. See this page for more on that.
I just can't help wondering in my mind a little bit....would the deputies have shackled a man, one who had not threatened them otherwise, who was bleeding profusely while the doctors were treating him for it to prevent his death? Would the deputies have shackled a pregnant white woman they arrested, or just counted on their ability to outrun her (in all fairness, I could probably outrun Nashville sheriffs even at nine months pregnant, but I think I'm an exception)? Would they still have shackled her for the traffic violation had she been able to produce a green card or other documentation?
See, we're often so blind to our own layers of privilege that we don't even know we have it. Like my students famously say, every single semester, "I don't have culture. I'm just an American." Riiiiiiiiiight. And you don't have any privilege, either.
I hope they rake the guys across the coals for this one, just for their lack of human decency.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You know how I feel about this, so I'll just say that your probably could outrun them. I've seen a fair share of fat policemen around here . . .
Post a Comment