So, we've had rain in Ohio. A lot. Record-breaking averages for three months straight. And I don't remember the last day without some.
This has caused my sump pump to run continuously, me to open up the lift station pit so more water can drain, and us to buy a small pump to sit next to the furnace pumping water off the floor and into the lift station pit, so that hopefully it won't get high enough to hurt the furnace. Being as we've only been in our house for two months, I've been more than a little cranky about that, especially when I'm using our giant floor squeegie to push water around toward the various exit points.
Then the tornadoes hit Alabama. My friend Kim and her family are there while her husband is in graduate school. I love them dearly, and my first thought when I read that things were bad in Tuscaloosa was to be very concerned for them. I worried and worried until I managed to find out that they were (physically at least) okay. Then I started to worry about them, in my "I want to fix it but am MILES away and there is nothing I can do" worrier way. And the voice in my head that was complaining about my basement shut up.
Some friends of Kim's have set up a site where you can contribute donations to help Josh and Kim. I know that things are tight money-wise for most of my friends and family, but anything that you can spare would be appreciated. I don't think I can even really imagine how I'd be feeling with my little ones in the same situation.
Kim posted their story of what happened.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
No, one does not take away from the other. If I've learned anything in the last week, it's that there's room for all kinds of mourning and celebration without belittling another. That said, thank you. Also, ugh! I would be so mad if my new house was leaking, too!
Hm, I didn't mean belittling other people. What I meant was that you can be sad about your flood without it trumping my sadness. And I can be sad about my house even though others lost their loved ones. Did that make sense? Time for bed.
Post a Comment