Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Half marathon

I can't believe I didn't post about it this weekend! Better late than never, though.

I finished the Air Force 1/2 marathon on Wright Patterson Air Force Base on Saturday in 1:55:44. I was 838th overall(of 4300), 217th for women (of 2246), and 46th in my age group (of 363). I finished faster than I had even hoped...I thought two hours would be pushing it. It was a great day, good race, really well planned and well supported. The course was nice, though I'm excited about trail running...I'm always better at that than road racing.

I had two favorite things. The first was the fact that they printed our names on our race bib (apparently that's what they call the number these days...I'm so out of the loop), and all the people on base standing along the route (security, families out on their lawns, whatever) would cheer for us by name. It was pretty cool. The other was the fact that they had all sorts of planes out along the finish, and others doing flyovers. J kept pointing and saying "Pane!" It was great.

Even though at mile ten I felt a little like the road-kill opossum that I barely avoided running through (yuck), I'm really proud of myself!

3 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

CONGRATS!!!

I'm also glad missed the opossum.
I'm especially glad that you spelled opossum with the o.

M said...

Well, I may spell it right but I still call them "possums." Product of my raising....can't change some things. :-)

rantipoler said...

So awesome. I also call them "possums." I would never write it with an o. Sorry, V. In point of fact, it's definitely "awesome possum" and not "awesome opossum." That would just be silly. ;)