Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Slow and steady

It does not win races. I mean, who are we kidding? There's always someone out there that can do "fast and steady." I realized this, like most of any worthwhile thoughts I have, while I was running (WITHOUT my iPod) on Saturday.

Like today. I got up early and ran, got kids breakfasted and me bathed and dressed, and then out to play for a while. Settled J for naps, got Bee set up for movie time (she chose "Finding Nemo" for today), cleaned up the house, washed diapers and another load of laundry. Woke J up, did lunch for everyone, left to go buy Gran's computer. Went to Target to get the tent so we can go camping, deposited a check at the bank, filled up the car with gas, bought a parking pass for this semester. Got Ben from work, dropped off recycling, came home, did dinner. Bathed and put kids to bed, cleaned up the house (again), did some spot deep-cleaning (sinks, toilets, dining room floor). Started another load of laundry, put away important papers, paid two bills that can't be set up for automatic pay, finished my presentation for Friday (don't even want to talk about it).

That's a lot, right? Well, I didn't get an abstract sent to AL, I didn't work on my proposal, I didn't get any of the washed laundry folded, and I didn't read my scriptures.

Slow and steady makes progress, and eventually gets things done. But it's not enough to get everything done all the time. I get frustrated about not being good enough, or whatever you want to call it, since I never finish. But. I guess I'll just keep going, and eventually it will come together.

2 comments:

HegstromPrattFamily said...

I just taught the Sunday School lesson on Ecclesiastes. You know the "Vanity of vanities" stuff. The teacher/preacher says that everything--all our efforts to get the lists down (dishes, reading, writing, holding back time, whatever)--is all futile (vain). Further, "the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" not because we just have to keep going ("endure to the end") but because there is injustice in the world. For the teacher in Ecclesiastes, the swift and strong should win, but the world is unjust so they don't. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. So I think it's about doing all the good we can in the world, all the while knowing that it's futile. We won't finish the list, but we can love, feel joy, rejoice, eat good food sometimes, express gratitude, etc., etc. We can try to help those around us, however imperfectly, and the world will go on being unfair.

Photo Girl said...

Sometimes I wonder if we're not the same person.

Although, I would say you're much more on top of things than I am right now. Yesterday, I'm pretty sure the only two things I did were make sure Emilia was taken care of and wash the last three loads of laundry I didn't finish on FRIDAY (yes, it took me three days to get back to it--that's why I generally try to do it all in one day). The all-day-long morning sickness isn't helping with my motivation though. Ugh.