Saturday, March 20, 2010

Something different

I just realized that posting about my exams has taken over my blog. This probably has something to do with the fact that it has taken over my life, but it's not much fun to read.

So. Something different! We went to Iowa to visit Mom last week (Thursday to Wednesday). It was SO nice to spend time with her and Ron, and share their space. She has a guest room to beat all...just welcoming and nice and comfortable and comforting. She gave me a little jar of tiny seashells and a "You can do it" card that made me cry. It's so nice to have people who take care of me! And the kids had a ball. Bee was excited about her trip to the outdoors store with Ron, and J about drove Maggie (the aging, gentle beast of a yellow Labrador) insane because he loved her so much...he spent a lot of the week using her as an obstacle course and chewing on her back. :-)

We almost always go to Kalona when I visit Mom. I do sometimes think that there's something inherently magical in the place itself, but really it probably has more to do with how much Mom and I both love the sorts of things that are there....simple living, tidy Amish farms, squeaky cheese curds, chocolate crinkle cookies and giant dill pickles, quilts, and the Sisters shop. And the fact that we get to spend a day driving and gallivanting together. qw23e (J's addition) It's a good trip.

Anyway. Thank goodness for last week, a change-up that helped me remember what it's like to be a real person, and just enjoy my family. I even managed to get good sleep, because Mom was nice enough to get up with my kids in the morning after my late-night work sessions. Hopefully someday I'll be able to provide a similar refuge to someone who needs it.

2 comments:

Hannah and Curtis said...

Jealous, Jealous, and Jealous.

rantipoler said...

I'm so glad you got to do that. You deserve it for all of your hard work. Oh, and also, I have TOTAL faith in you. I'm just going to sit back and wait for the good news. :)