Friday, May 29, 2009

Thank goodness....

....for an independent readings course. I've read five comedias each week for the last three weeks, and will do so for the next three weeks.

I've started to think that a comedia a day keeps postpartum depression away. :-) I've been planning projects to work on after the course is done, too. I just have to have something to remind me that there is more to me (and my life and overall existence) than making meals, disciplining a melt-down-inclined three-year-old, washing diapers and laundry, and being a milk machine.

I love being a mom, don't get me wrong. My friend Jen always says that I need to re-identify myself because the "feminist" label doesn't quite fit. (She most recently said this after learning that I had spent some time in the afternoon sewing the patches onto Ben's scout shirt...I usually don't use that statement to discuss the wide range of feminist possibilities). My kids and Ben are definitely the most fulfilling part of my existence. It's just nice to be able to have something to turn over in my head and use to ask questions about why we, as human beings, do some of the things we do.

And it avoids this. And this.

3 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Those comics are awesome! It's funny how much I'm looking forward to my freedom from academia, but I worry that I'll be feeling a little nuts in a year or two. We shall see. A wise friend told me that you either have to love teaching enough to put up with the politics or love the politics enough to put up with the teaching, and I'm feeling burnt out on both right now. Maybe I should try making more laundry architecture.

Arrow said...

The comedia a day sounds like a lot of fun! By the time you're done you will have a very solid foundation of comedias read--on top of those you have already read.

Jared Blanco said...

We should do some kind of readers group blog project and share our comedia ideas. I must admit that I don't think that I could read 5 per week, but I do try to get at least 1 in each month! :S