Saturday, May 2, 2009

Breastfeeding (again)

So I know that I post on this a lot. But I feel strongly about it. And since I'm in the throes of getting it going again, I want to write about it.

When you talk to lactation consultants or read literature published by organizations like La Leche League, they always say things like "Breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt." What they need to specify is that that statement is only true if you have the perfectly shaped nipple, your baby will open wide enough initially to get the perfect "latch," your skin starts out nice and soft and supple, and your baby will nurse on both sides evenly every time.

THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN! Unless you happen to be some exquisitely blessed woman, it's going to be uncomfortable for at least a little while. In my case, it's been a pretty decent struggle both times, though it was worse with Bee than it has been this time around. Baby likes to nurse, and he nurses forever on both sides, which helps things. Bee didn't like to do either of those things.

Anyway. My point here is that it will probably hurt, and that's okay. Don't let people frustrate you with their "it won't hurt if you're doing it right" statements. My thought on that is that lactation consultants, like anyone else, need business. They say that it won't hurt if you're doing it right because they want you to come see them so that they can "help you do it right." I think a large part of what happens is really just that by the time you've had a couple of visits with them, it's been a couple of weeks and everyone involved (baby, mom, and breasts) have adjusted. Period.

So. Those are my thoughts. Probably tmi and totally unsolicited. But I was in the mood for a rant.

3 comments:

FoxyJ said...

So true--I'm not a big fan of the 'it won't hurt' thing. It probably will--other things that are totally natural also feel uncomfortable and painful the first few times you do them. Your body needs some time to adjust. It's hard because there can be issues that cause pain because things aren't done correctly, but to assume that it won't cause any sort of pain or discomfort is silly because it involves a part of the body that is naturally sensitive.

Kimberly said...

Amen. Jonah is a good nurser(and has been since birth, lucky me, I know) but I felt so much better when it was frustrating remembering your advice: "give it 3 weeks." I tell that to all new moms I know.

Emily said...

Congrats!!! I'm sorry I'm over a week late but he is so precious! Best of luck with everything. Breastfeeding was something I was totally not prepared for but I'm so glad I stuck with it. Hope the hard part goes quickly!