Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Print quota

Here they have this system where you log on to use any computer from campus. Once you've logged on, it tracks all of your activity, including (among other things) how many pages you print. Thus, they give you a certain number of "free" (as in, included in the "technology fee" billed to your bursar account) pages to print from campus computers. I get 1000 as a grad student. I get 300 extra because I'm an instructor. I also rolled over 500 that were left over from last semester.

As of this afternoon, I am officially out of print pages. Yes, I've printed 1800 pages this semester. What have I printed, you ask? Reading assignments for two classes.

This means that not including the books I've read (which are a decent number) and the random articles I've read here and there online, I've already read 1800 pages. Now, this 1800 pages refers to one side of a page. Usually, I shrink the pages (to try to save trees and my print quota) to the size that there are two pages of whatever I was supposed to read per side of a piece of paper. Assuming I did that half of the time (I know I did it at least that much), that ups the amount I've read to 2700 pages. Add in to that the Arabian Nights, Tale of Genji, Decameron, Odyssey, Divine Comedy and sections of the Bible that I've read for Comp Lit, two plays that my professor gave us for Portuguese, and the two books I read for my presentation in my colonial lit class, and I don't even want to know what the total comes to.

I'm feeling something between admiration at myself and despair over my plight. Hooray for being a girl and a grad student!

4 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Ooh, the things I have to look forward to :)

And I realized the other day that I'm probably going to be teaching Comp Lit classes. Which scare me because it involves deeper stuff than singing songs about seasons. Crap.

At least Comp Lit isn't every single day of the week like Spanish.

Kimberly said...

Not to mention that the Tale of Genji is a million pages long. Ok, not that many, but at least 600 if I remember correctly. Hurray for being well read.

rantipoler said...

I always hover between "maybe the professor just wants us to read as much as we can" and "the professor is insane and expects us to read every single word." I try to do the latter, but once in a while the first option wins out.

Hannah and Curtis said...

I can't believe you have a blog and never told me! That's just like you!!! Just kidding. Anyway, this is very exciting!