Friday, August 24, 2012

Modesty (some more)

I sometimes engage in (usually pointless) discussions on a blog.  The author's stated purpose is to encourage LDS men to be more manly and what he thinks of as fulfilling their "divine roles" as men.

Usually he says things that are downright misogynistic, and on more than one occasion has stuck to his opinion despite being presented with facts to the contrary.

The most recent exchange has been about modesty, where he takes the typical "I can't control the biological response I have to a woman's body....women shouldn't dress like sluts if they don't want attention from bums".  (Those classifications of men and women are his word choice, not mine).

I'm afraid a comment I posted will hang out in moderation (cause he does that when he doesn't like my argument), so I wanted to post it somewhere:

Given Jesus' example of welcoming sinners, shouldn't we cultivate an atmosphere where we teach young people not to judge based on appearance?

So instead of saying "of course young men are going to see that immodest girl and think she's easy" would a better approach not be to say "we fallible humans judge people, often, wrongly, and that's a shame.  Why don't we teach that modesty is about appropriateness instead of inches of fabric?"

Taunting a gang member....did you really compare the sexual urges of teenaged boys to gang members who beat people up?  That's unfortunate.  But I guess it explains the difference in our approaches.

You say, and I agree with, the following:
Taunting a gang member is likely to get you beat up.

Dressing like a slut will probably get you unwelcome attention.

You say:
So don't taunt a gang member.

So don't dress like a slut.

I would offer:
So let's encourage community members to implement community action programs, create community centers, and emphasize education.  Let's offer education initiatives to try to break this cycle.

So let's teach the YM that sexual responses are normal and learning to control them and respond only in appropriate ways to them is part of growing up.  But let's also teach them that a person's appearance does not always correspond to their level of personal righteousness, because teenagers often have a variety of obstacles (lack of parental support, poverty, insecurity or self-esteem issues) in their way that prevent them from looking like a Mormon fashion plate.


I'll grant that your solution is quicker, easier, and more succinct than mine.  But ease does not necessarily equate with correctness.

4 comments:

Strong Man said...

I have a life outside my blog, so I don't moderate comments every single day.

You make some good points and share a valid perspective, and I've published your comment. I don't think our views on this are mutually exclusive.

Here's my response to your comment:

As I've already said--we should love more and judge less.

None of that changes human nature. We also need to be "wise as serpents, harmless as doves."

Teach each other to not dress like sluts and not taunt gang members does not prevent also trying to teach gangs and bums to be good.

Gangs and bums, though, tend to be less apt to read blogs about being "good strong men" or care whatever it is we're trying to teach them.

M said...

Okay, nice try pulling the "I didn't see it card.

Unfortunately, I posted THIS comment on the 24th. You didn't post it. I posted the "cultural constructs" comment on the 25th. You posted it.

You only posted this when I called you on it in YET ANOTHER comment, pointing out that I had listed it on my blog (where some unfortunate stumblers might end up).

Glad to see you've manned up enough to take some criticism for comparing teen boys to gang bangers.

rantipoler said...

The very use of the word "sluts" is extremely telling, don't you think? Does he use the word "rapists" when referring to those teenage boys and their uncontrollable sexual urges?

M said...

Yes, indeed it is quite revealing. It always amazes me that people who generalize all women who choose to be sexually active as sluts don't see that they're eliminating any active choice that woman has made - they assume that she's just sexually immoral and incapable of being a grownup.