Just ran 6 miles in 52:35. And that was not on flat ground. I ran up a hill that was a mile long. Not near as steep as some of the Utah ones, but enough to kick my butt. I feel so free and happy and balanced. Now if I can just break 48. :-)
I love Miranda Lambert. A number of her songs really speak to my soul... but mostly "House that Built Me," "Virginia Bluebell," "Heart Like Mine," and "Time to Get a Gun." I enjoy the whole CD, though, especially as a running soundtrack. On trails I'm fine with no music, but I really like something to listen to while I'm pounding pavement.
I like the way running makes me feel. Because running can also be a "let's lose weight" thing for people, I'd like to take up a related topic. I hear a lot of remarks and read a lot of blogs that reveal this "women have an obligation to stay thin in order to keep their husband feeling attracted to them" mindset.
True, men are visually aroused. I would like to put forward the argument, however, that expecting a woman in her thirties (or older than that) who has borne children to look like one in her twenties who has not, is not only unreasonable but also ridiculous. Physical attractiveness factors change. Deal with it.
And men - a gut on you is no more attractive to us, than thunder thighs on us are to you. Just sayin'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You probably already know that I agree with you, but here are a few things I think about whenever this subject arises:
-My brother, who is very in to physical fitness, will be the first to say that a man (or woman) who values extreme fitness in a partner cannot expect that partner to be attracted to a fat blob. Anything other than demanding the same standard of yourself is unrealistic.
-Sometimes, I hear the "I shouldn't have to prove anything with the way I look" as an argument to avoid all physical exercise. There is something freeing, like you say, about feeling good in your skin.
-In an ideal relationship, we would both be doing things to please the other. If it's one-sided, it becomes abusive. I heard an interesting idea of making a list of 3 things your spouse can do to make you feel more loved/attracted/whatever, and certainly one of those things could be dress up or work out, but it shouldn't take over with more weight than "make me laugh" or "rub my feet" perhaps.
-Finally, 17 year-old boys are no longer attractive to me (what babies!) so I assume the same holds true for most people as they continue to age. Expecting your spouse or yourself to look 20 years younger is ridiculous.
Sorry for taking over your comments, but this is a topic I consider often.
Agreed, agreed, agreed!
I love your "I'm not attracted to 17-year-old boys" any more. I couldn't agree more - I think that's what I was getting at with the "attractiveness priorities change" idea - sometimes when I see pictures of Ben with baby Bee, I can hardly believe it, he looks so YOUNG, and just completely un-Dad-ish. :-)
Sigh. I wish I were a runner. I have been walking every day! I know that's not enough, but I figure at least I get off my rear for a little while. I'm hoping to sign up for a pre-natal water aerobics or yoga class soon.
Also, I take comfort in the fact that JC thought I was beautiful before I lost the 60 pounds. So, if I gain them back, I know it won't be the end of the world (although I'm not planning on doing so - for my own sake!). :)
And another amen for what Kim said.
Walking while pregnant is absolutely enough! More than I did, at least. My exercise consisted of walking between buildings on campus, and climbing into my chair to nap. ;-)
I'm a big fan of Miranda Lambert myself--and I'm impressed that you do so well at balancing your schedule to keep jogging. I wish I could say the same thing for myself over the last five years.
On another note--I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were that close to Cincinnati. It would have been fun to see you and your family.
You're an impressive runner! You'd probably kick my butt--although I'm working at it.
I like the way I feel throughout the day and in general when I'm running, but I'm still growing an appreciation for the actual act.
On the visual attraction issue--I prefer to see it as a positive gesture that demonstrates good habits and self-control (just like running) and also a way to show love for your spouse. Keeping yourself in shape sends a message that you understand and care about your spouse.
Completely letting yourself go can send a message that you don't care.
I hope you're "deal with it" comment was about aging, and not a general attitude about no concern for what your partner feels is important.
Post a Comment