Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sometimes I should just shut up...

....rather than sharing my opinion in Relief Society. Then people won't roll their eyes at me when I comment that maybe, just maybe, deciding NOT to get married before you finish college isn't necessarily "anti-family" and therefore "anti-Christ" (apparently according to a Julie B. Beck talk they discussed in our lesson today, the terms are interchangeable). When you start thrusting your PERSONAL (ie, not doctrinal) definitions of "anti-family" into that sort of equivalency, things get ugly. And judgmental. And (dare I say) un-Christian/un-Christlike.

I think too much. Way too much. It would be so much easier to nod my head and say "yeah, being 'anti-family' is BAD!" without worrying about the fact that people have all SORTS of definitions of what's "anti-family."

Seriously, sometimes I think I should just walk out (I mean, then they'd just think I was leaving to go the the restroom, not that I was making a fuss, right?) rather than say anything (when it becomes obvious that I'm a dissenter....an outsider....a "not like us" -er). I'd get a lot less emotionally involved, and other people wouldn't shun/get offended by me.

This is why church gets hard for me. I should just let it go.

4 comments:

Photo Girl said...

I don't remember you having this problem in RS meetings that I attended with you. Maybe I was oblivious or thought you were right or both. ??

M said...

I think maybe I've just gotten less tolerant of it over time...and more likely to speak up. Whereas before I'd just whisper to the person sitting next to me. I think when I did that with you, you usually agreed with me. :-)

rantipoler said...

I love you tons and tons. It isn't going to get easier, and I think it's okay that you express your ideas in RS. I mean, someone has to enlighten them. :)

April said...

I love people who are brave enough to speak up at Church when ideas from 1950s social culture are presented as Christian doctrine. I hope you don't stop attending or talking. The Church needs people like you!