I've been feeling a little overwhelmed. Why is it that I'm either completely free to enjoy myself and relax, or totally swamped? If I could do an in-between load most of the time, I'd be better off, I think.
Paperwork, letters, phone calls, research, money managing for buying the house, then more phone calls, money, and time for inspections, not to mention the random problems that come up. "Oh, Ben was a consultant in 2008? That may be a problem." Well, he wasn't, he was an intern, you just have to file internship income as consulting income....more letters to write. "Oh, that water coming through your living room ceiling? It looks terrible, but it's just one little pipe that we can fix pretty cheaply." Well, thanks for the reassurance Dad and Mr. Inspector Man, but I'm not as experienced as the two of you, and this looks BAD to me. I didn't WANT to have to fix one little pipe, and certainly didn't want WATER COMING THROUGH MY LIVING ROOM CEILING!! It was pretty funny, Bee kept asking "Why is there a flood in our roof?" And J pointed to the puddles on the carpet and said "Mess, mess, mess, mess" over and over, ad infinitum. :-) But I've calmed down a bit, and I don't think it's going to keep us from buying the house.
On top of all that (like it isn't enough), I'm trying to get my proposal final-version-polished, and set up my defense. I WANT TO BE WRITING, not stuck in limbo again. I passed my quals almost a year ago, and have made changes to my drafts per my advisor's suggestions very quickly. I guess it's just a long process no matter what.
And I'm working for my advisor. That part, at least, is fun. I'm making a Spanish drama anthology/textbook of hers look nicer and getting it ready for publishing. LOVE reading the plays....it's nice that they're not ones I'm using for the dissertation. Adds to my repertoire, and is more relaxing than "take crazy notes" reading.
I think the thing that has been the hardest is losing the running schedule. Normally I run early in the mornings; if the kids wake up while Ben's still getting ready, he lets them run around. That wouldn't fly with our new (and temporary) living situation. And now (since he has a commute like a real person) he doesn't get home until 6. Which leaves little time for the running bug. But I'm still running twice a week. Better than nothing. But I'm excited to get into the new house and back to a schedule that's OURS.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I really like Bee & J's assessment of the flood/mess situation. :)
Just remember - take deep breaths!
Post a Comment