I think I've caught it. Now that I finally got back to it, I REALLY don't want to give it up....Ever....Again.
There's a race in Louisville KY in February that I've got my eye on. We'll see if I work up the courage to do it.
I LOVE running. I keep wondering why I ever took a hiatus....and then the reality of pregnancy and postpartum jumps into my mind. It will be interesting to see how I handle it next time around. Hopefully no more 5-year gaps!
I've been reading about women and ultramarathoning. Women have a better chance of keeping up with men in longer races (the longer the race, the narrower the pace gap gets). And older women often beat younger women. This gives me SO MUCH HOPE in terms of being able to keep doing this, and do it better than I do now once I can devote more energy to it (ie, when my kids are older, so the long runs early in the morning won't make me a bad mom because the kids are grown up and on to other things).
I really think that this could be appealing to me for a number of reasons. My first basis is just how much I loved Tecumseh two weeks ago. It was breathtakingly beautiful to be out in the woods hearing the wind and the snow falling. And the distance and mental coping that the hills required were such a fun game for me. The idea of running races all over the place, meeting lots of people and swapping stories, jokes, and battle scars....it just all seems like a whole lot of fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You can do it! I have three thoughts:
1. Hopefully, you will never stop again. Even if you do, you already have the experience of fighting your way back to it, so you can do it again!
2. According to the BYU track coach, college distance runners don't even peak until their late 20s. Marathoners are even later. That's not even to say that they are not competitive for many more years (besides the "respectable if not competitive" range, too).
3. I had a late 60 or 70-something professor at BYU who missed class a few days to run the Boston marathon. I'd say it's totally feasible.
Kim, I totally want details on your running-ness. You've piqued my curiosity about you in comments you've made!!
Post a Comment