My mom (who I think is a pretty phenomenal character) had this great idea....for 29 days leading up to Thanksgiving she got me, my aunt T, and my sister Hannah into this "give 29 gifts for 29 days" thing. It has a pretty cool story, you can read about it here.
I learned a lot about myself in the process, mostly that I do more than I think that I do. But it also got me into a new mindset about finding opportunities to give. Bee was in the car with me one day, and saw a homeless man standing at the corner where we were stopped at the light. I hadn't really looked at the man, but she said "Why does he look worried? Does he not have money for a house for his family?" I took a better look at his face, and the sign he was holding....it was a chance to give that was outside my comfort zone, but because I had gotten into this 29 gift-mentality, was able to get beyond myself a little bit.
And it's got me being a nicer/better/I don't know how to put it, driver. I've tried to let some of my gifts be things like not getting road-rage-y at people who try to kill me and my kids in the car. :-)
But the BEST thing about it was the daily contact with these women that I love. We decided to continue that aspect by doing a daily exchange of things we're thankful for. I'm excited about it because I'll get to keep talking to them about interesting and just downright cool observations that they have on life.
Don't really why I felt the need to post this...maybe just an invite to do something similar. A journal, or an exchange with people you love...either of the 29 gifts or the grateful days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm doing 12 days of giving, if you look at my last blog post. :) I looked at the website and it seems like a good idea. I think I need to wait until after the holidays though. Even a small thing like that would put me in overload I think. Sheesh!
Thanks for this post.
Post a Comment