I cleaned the apartment yesterday. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been this clean since it was new. Which makes me happy. And today we did the car. So now all we need is a car seat (Bee's got left in Utah with a certain sister of mine).
We also put together the bassinet, at which Bee said "That's not for babies, that's MINE!" and proceeded to throw one of the biggest fits I've ever seen from her. Pretty funny that the rivalry has already kicked in and he's not even here yet! The plan was to set it up to make sure we had all the pieces, and then collapse it back down. In light of the reaction, we decided to leave it set up so that she can get used to the idea that she can NOT sleep in it! She's had two five-minute time-outs because of it. Fun fun!
And we're wrapping up for Ben's final project and my final papers. Pretty soon we'll both be done with classes. Forever. And then we have to start paying back (at least his) student loans. We really need a job...like a real one. It is nice, though, to get to some sort of landmark in this interminable PhD process.
So when somebody makes a reference to "natural" childbirth, what do you think of? Today when I was at the haircut place getting a trim, the stylist and I were talking about babies. She said that she gained 73 pounds for her pregnancy (makes me feel not at all bad about my 36 thus far), and that her baby weighed more than nine pounds. The stylist next to us said "Did you have her natural?" And the girl doing my hair said yes. And then mentioned an epidural about two minutes later.
I think it's interesting the different ideas that people have about childbirth. My especial, pet favorite is the one where when I say that I see midwives people say "Oh, so you have your babies at home!" Ha, no. I'm WAY too much of a sissy for that. I just like midwife care. Not that I have anything to compare it to, since I've never seen a doctor....I just like the way that I know things like my midwife's own birth experience, what she thinks about the fact that Bee was born cauled (so was Christina of Sweden, if I remember right....one of those awesome queens from Valerie's class was), and that she's willing to look at my case and to adapt her "typical" instructions for how long to wait through labor before going to the hospital because my first labor was so short. I like midwives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I say yes to midwives, but not at home (anything could go wrong!), and yes to natural birth, which is obviously not the same thing as, um, let's call it non-Caesarean.
I think BeeBoo's at a good age to add a brother, because the older the firstborn is, the harder it is for her (speaking from experience).
You are amazing! Have I told you that, you really really amaze me. And I'm all for James! But I really like Adam too, if you are okay with him sharing a name with a LOT of people.
Thanks for sharing all of your pregnant woman thoughts with us (I have no intelligent comment to make about it beyond simply saying thanks). We're going to love the baby, no matter what name you choose... even if he turns out to be a boy named Sioux.
Post a Comment