Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Remembering Mamaw

I'm thinking about Mamaw* tonight.

She always gifted me books.  We have a photo of a six-year-old me hugging a leather bound copy of the complete works of Lewis Carroll that was the preferred present that year.  She also gave me Little Women, The Secret Garden, and introduced me to the Laura Ingalls Wlder books.  In some ways I think I can blame her for both my lasting interest in women writers and my love of feminist criticism.  The fact that I'm now near completion of my PhD in literature would have thrilled her.  

I can see her sitting in the swing on the back porch at the Lake, the slightly-yellow light on and the warm summer air cooling while we rocked back and forth.  She used to start almost everything she  said to me with "Emily honey...".   She was so very wise and helped me to be patient with both myself and others.  She also helped me to enjoy white hyacinths for the soul.

So tonight in celebration of submitting revisions, I'm pretending I don't have grading to do and eating an evening snack that's a collection of my favorite things.  Thanks, T, for saving Mamaw's china for me so that I can feel a little closer to her at times like this.

* it is important to know that my family comes from Tennessee and her name is "Maw-maw." Not "Meah-maw."

2 comments:

rantipoler said...

Love it.

Arrow said...

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for some time, but congratulations on submitting revisions!

Our kids really enjoyed the "Little House" books when we read them a few years ago. I think it's about time to do it again!