So, next time someone points out to me that 3 years seems like WAY too long for me to have been in the list/exam/proposal/writing phase, I'll be sorely tempted to point out things like the following:
During that stretch I birthed and nursed an infant.
I left my PhD institution and have been teaching a 4-4 load at another for the past two years.
In addition to work, I have ballet lessons, art classes, and camping trips to think of.
Unlike my male counterparts with children, no one does the shopping, cooks my food, does my laundry, cleans my house, or watches my children while I write. I do those things. And write.
I did seven loads of laundry in 24 hours Thursday/Friday in a (so far successful) attempt to limit the stomach flu flying around out extended family, to just J.
And I'm going to graduate along with my entering PhD cohort (well, barring catastrophe I will).
It's funny, the folks in my ward don't say anything to the male students with young families about being in school for ages. They just assume that the men are on track. Then they hear me say something that allows them to mentally calculate "Whoa, she's been working on the dissertation for three years?" and assume that I'm behind schedule.
For what it's worth, I'm not.
/end rant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My neighbor has 9 kids, with the oldest on a mission. Her husband is still working on his dissertation and has been in school for their entire marriage. So, it could be worse :)
Oh yikes, that's terrible!
I don't feel like my school term is unreasonable (though I'm plenty tired of it). I'm just worn out by snide comments.
Yes, snide comments are never really helpful. One wonders what the motivation is exactly behind the comment?
Post a Comment