Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Paul Ryan's sub-three marathon

I was skeptical but almost impressed when I heard Ryan's claim.

Now I'm just proud of myself for being skeptical......and the fact that I could keep pace with the man.

Which, given that he's a man, makes his marathon bragging all that less impressive.

Several runner-types have mentioned that runners din't lie about their times.  My experience is consistent with this....people know what they run and they don't lie about it.  Or stretch the truth.  Or forget after years and years (I, for example, still remember my best times in each of my high school events 20:18 5k, 5:57 1600m and 2:29.8 800m....and I graduated 14 years ago).

So maybe the lesson learned is to not brag about things that you don't do any more, particularly about something whose adherents/participants are quick to call "liar, liar, pants on fire" when the situation calls for it.

No comments: