Thursday, February 9, 2012

Losing faith (some more)

But this time in the public education system.

My 202 students read "La abeja haragana" by Horacio Quiroga today for their literature section. It's a great story, you could do some fun things with it with students who had more language or more literature interest. With mine, all I was going for was the theme of "community helps us all to live a better life." The first thing that I had them do was to get into groups and think of stories with similar themes.

They couldn't come up with any.

Not. One. Single. One.

So I gave them the theme. And mentioned "The Little Red Hen" and "The Ant and the Grasshopper". And asked again.

Still nothing. I thought it was the language barrier. Turns out, of the 56 students, only 5 had heard of either story. (Unless they were just playing stupid, which is entirely possible)

This tells me two things:
1) In the course of a generation, elementary schools have shifted their focus SO MUCH toward proficiency testing that they've failed to give students a basic foundation of literary works to draw from.

2) Students, even when they have a story/theme, struggle with critical thinking-type tasks.

This makes me want to homeschool. Because while there are those who will argue that literature is unimportant or too abstract to merit study, I want my kids to be able to read things and analyze them. Reading a story to find its theme isn't that far from reading a contract to get its "gotcha" clause.

And even if there were no practical application, what's wrong with reading a story that makes you think, "Wow, I'm glad we live in a community. My life is better because I don't have to raise my own sheep to shear their wool, spin and weave it, then sew my clothes, all while raising enough food to subsist on and building a house out of whatever I can find lying around."

2 comments:

rantipoler said...

Sigh. This is exactly why I like Montessori. And parents who actually read to their kids and encourage learning.

ALTA said...

Amen Sister! I'm thinking about home schooling AJ already and he's 2! I KNOW elementary schools focus way too much on proficiency--been there done that. It's sad!