Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Competence

I'm consistently evaluated at work. By students, supervisors, administrators, even the occasional unrelated observer. All to ensure that I know how to do my job, do it right, and meet student needs.

If I did my job the way many people in other fields do theirs, I'd no longer have it.

Two examples:

First:
I received YET ANOTHER "failure to file" notice for school district taxes. From two years ago. In a state where we didn't even live. Called yet again to say "We faxed the information you requested (proof of residency and W2 forms) to resolve this on 5/31/11." They said "No, we don't have anything." And I said "Yes, it was sent to x number, attn: x person, and the date and time stamp." They put me on hold, came back and said "Oh, yeah. She got that, but we don't have it any more. Can you fax it again?"

Seriously? Unfortunately, the answer is "yes, I can, because you're the government and I will be fined otherwise." I hate that my togetherness is not reciprocated on their end.

Second:
I received a "Your child will not be allowed to attend school after 11/11/11 if you don't send us her shot record" letter about Bee yesterday. Huh? I gave them her shot record (both of them, actually) when we registered her. I watched as they made photocopies and put them in her file. So I called to check. They said "Well, it looks like she needs a, b, c, and d before we can let her keep coming." I said "You have a record of that. It's on letterhead from Drs. So-and-So, dated 5/7/11." And they said, "OH! It IS right here! We'll make sure the nurse knows."

Again, seriously? You threaten to kick my child out of school for lack of documentation, apparently without reviewing your files?

I don't know if this is a new phenomenon or if public institutions have always been this inept. I feel a teensy bit like an old curmudgeon in my "You young whippersnappers just don't do anything right!" attitude. But given that their ineptitude creates worry and extra work for me, I'm entitled to that frustration, I think.

1 comment:

rantipoler said...

I often feel that people in general are incompetent morons (especially when I drive). You are entitled to your frustration.