I've seen some hype in the media about the birth scene from the new "Twilight" movie.
As a disclaimer - all I've read of the books is what snatches I skimmed while pretending to read so that I'd have a cover for watching potential shoplifters at my old BYU bookstore job. From this I gathered that the story premise was pretty cool, but the simple sentence structure and the nauseating co-dependency of the hero and heroine completely erased the appeal of it for me. I don't mean this to be a review of the books, since I've not read them in their entirety.
Back to the childbirth scene. Because I'm somewhat (you know, just a bit) fascinated by women's issues, childbirth and breastfeeding in particular, the headlines about the birth scene in the new movie caught my attention. Out of curiosity, I read just the chapters immediately surrounding and including the birth scene, and was shocked by the amount of blood, the overall tense feeling of the narrative, and the inevitable association of death with the childbirth experience.
There were things that resonated with my experience with birth - Bella wanting to immediately hold the baby, the "it doesn't matter what happens to me, save the baby!" feeling.
But. So much of it was so overwhelmingly frightening. And childbirth does not have to be that way. I've done natural (no intervention during...though the hospital where Bee was born made me have a saline drip IV to have a line in place just in case, and they did give me medications afterward to stop hemorrhaging) childbirth twice (and plan to have any subsequent children in the same way unless complications necessitate another course of action). It was an amazing, empowering, beautiful experience. Even though it hurt like nothing I'd ever imagined (including kidney stones), and in one case I lost enough blood to make Ben go white as a sheet.
The author of the books has said, of including the scene in the movie, that "I'd love to have the birth scene be every bit as awful -- I know it freaked people out, but for those of us who have been through childbirth a couple times, it is a scary, terrifying experience. This is just taking that to an exponential power, and I love going there."
I guess if you frame childbirth in those terms, that's the sort of experience you might imagine. And since this movie is marketed so rabidly to teenagers, maybe it's not an awful thing (hey, if that's what works as birth control for them, more power to the movie).
But. With proper mental and physical preparation, a good support team, and a cooperative baby (not much you can do about preeclampsia or breech babies and other such complications) , you can do it! And it can actually be a positive experience....I've never experienced any feeling like my last push when my babies were born. It's accomplishment, relief, excitement, love, "let's conquer the world!", and beauty, all wrapped up. And I've probably missed something, because that doesn't even quite cover it. And it's phenomenal. In the Kantian sense of the word, sublime.
Not scary. Not inevitably deadly. Not uncontrollable.
Of course, this is coming from a girl who runs marathons for fun. But for what it's worth. Terror is not the only emotion we can or should associate with the prospect of experiencing childbirth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm very encouraged by your childbirth experiences. Just to play the devil's advocate, maybe the author had terrible birth experiences? I know that a friend of mine in Spain had three children, and each time was horrible and awful because of her circumstances, and because she didn't know that childbirth could be any different.
I'm really hoping for the best, although now that I'm scheduled to be induced Sunday morning, I'm worried for the first time. I know that Pitocin use causes more painful contractions, which in turn may lead to giving in to an epidural, which can slow down the labor and lead to a c-section. Unless Little Bean decides to make an appearance tomorrow or Saturday, I'm really concerned as to how things are going to pan out. :(
Yes, I think that's absolutely possible. My thing is just the idea of mass-marketing that idea to scared teenagers who already don't know what to expect...sort of sets them up for failure, since so much of what you can control in childbirth is mental preparation.
I've been stalking your blog....I'm sorry things aren't moving along. Whatever the reason is that baby Bean is delaying entering the world, I'm sure that things will work for the best. My aunt did natural childbirth on pitocin and did not have pleasant things to say about it....but she did manage it. With that though, I'd probably have done an epidural. I dunno. I think it would depend on if there's any break between contractions. I've read that sometimes with pitocin the contractions don't ever really ease. In that case, I'd totally be going for intervention, because (at least in my experience) that break between contractions is so helpful to the pain management process.
Whatever happens, you'll do great! And I'm excited to meet baby! :-)
Amen, Em!!!!!!! I love birthing! Not scary, just an empowering chance for release and connection with a deeper level of yourself. Not to say I wasn't scared the first time, b/c i was (1st time anything makes me nervous, but also b/c of our weird culture of birthing).
Post a Comment