I'm going to Nashville on Friday to run an all-women's half marathon on Saturday. The idea is intriguing to me, especially because of things like a "cookie cafe" at the end instead of the usual pizza/subs/let's-rot-our-stomachs-with-artificial-nutrients protein shakes. And because, let's face it, guys who run long races like this tend to take themselves a LOT more seriously than the women who do (with the exception of the elites, who should take themselves seriously....because, frankly, they're amazingly fast), and I'm interested to see how the dynamic changes without than element.
Secretly, though, I'm only going so I can see AL and because my mother-in-law wanted some company. Running races with her has been a fun thing to share, I'm going to miss it in the next pregnancy/recovery/retraining gap (no announcements, just inevitability).
My training for this race hasn't been nearly as consistent as for the last long race I did....summer heat and moving into the new house, together with starting the new job, have sort of consumed my free time. But I've managed it.
And.
Today I ran 10 miles in an hour and 33 minutes. This included 1 mile on the crazy hill I've talked about before....it was mile 9. It was one of those breezy, cool, bright sun/blue sky Midwest days that's just absolutely perfect and why I can't live anywhere else....I love the seasons here. And since I was on the road I brought music along. It was a great run, I felt strong and steady the whole time (well, except for that mile of hill training).
To all the dogs (and there were a lot of you!) who watched me aimlessly from your front porches: Thank you.
To all the owners of said dogs: Way to train your dogs to only react to a legitimate threat.
To the bloodhound, Aussie, Lab, Pit Bull, and mutt Shepherd that chased me: HAHAHAHAHA, that stick was a lot harder than you thought it'd be huh?
To all the owners of said dogs: Fence, tie, or train your dog. You're breaking state law otherwise. I know, I've checked. And if they chase/attempt to bite me next time I run the route, I'm legally allowed to pepper spray and/or taze them.
I ran in normal shoes for the first time in ages, because I don't think I've built the strength to go 10 miles in my Vibrams. But now my feet are not happy. Oh well, you can't win them all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good luck on your race. I hope you run well and you have fun. I'm totally behind you on the pepper spray for next time. :)
I'm so excited to see you! And I know you're going to do amazingly well. I was thinking about how Huaso might react to someone running down the street if he weren't leashed. I think he would think you were playing with him and run with you. Then I thought how scary a huge big black dog running after you might be if you don't know that he's harmless. Reminds me of the mission - you could never tell which ones wanted to play and which ones wanted to bite your head off. :)
I know Mollie would totally chase people...that's why we don't let her out unattended. I'm super impressed with the dogs that just sit on porches. The folks that don't bother to leash or train, and then get upset when I smack on their dog that's chasing me, are the ones that frustrate me. :-)
Post a Comment