Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Information

Glenn Beck basically drives me nuts, but I sometimes find his thinking amusing. My favorite part of this video is where he says that Google is being kicked out of "all the other countries" (I won't even get into the ridiculousness of that blanket claim) because they're somehow conspiring with the American government.

Or maybe they're being kicked out of absolutist states because they allow people access to information. And information can change the balance of power in absolutist states when enough people have access to it. And absolutist leaders love when the balance of power shifts....oh wait. That's right, the absolutist leaders depend on the balance of power staying the same, and on controlling what information circulates. Maybe THAT'S why they don't like Google.

Or maybe freedom of information is a big American "conspiracy." That's right, I mean, after all, think I remember reading something somewhere about freedom of the press (and the circulation of information that it allows) being important to the foundation of America that Beck is so fond of distorting.

Geesh.

1 comment:

Vanessa Swenson said...

I'm just waiting for the days when the conspiracy theories fold up over on themselves and he realizes that he's part of a wider conspiracy to keep Americans afraid and uneducated.