My sister-in-law sent me a snarky forward about Obama and how nobody voting for him can articulate why they're doing it besides resorting to the nebulous rhetoric of "change."
Personally, I have little faith in either candidate...I think that both of them will do both positive and negative things. But I have issues with the closed-mindedness. So I composed a snarky email to send back to her. Instead, I'm going to put it here so that I don't hurt her feelings.
Here it is:
I'd rather a statesman than a soldier. But, if tradition holds, which it probably will, then we'll end up with the soldier. Immanual Kant said so ages ago, and he's been right so far....the masses prefer the sublimity of the experience of war.
Don't worry about Obama. The big bad black man and his articulate feminist wife, even if they make it to the White House, won't stay there for long. Somebody will in all likelihood shoot him, if he gets that far.
I'm sick to death of the whole thing...I can't even vote in this election. But I can tell you that I'd rather someone who's in a position to be taught by people smarter than he is (by doing things like seeking support of people from the opposing party, ie Colin Powell) than someone who owes his money and career to interest groups and has politics so ingrained in his family that he can't help but be indebted, and I'd rather a first lady with a law degree than an arm candy model actress that some guy cheated on his crippled wife to be able to marry.
I think I've said enough. Please don't involve me in politics unless you'd like more of the same. I don't send you my political ideas (or many other ones for that matter) because I know you won't like them...I'd love the same courtesy.
The old rule...religion and politics. Just don't mess with 'em!
In rereading this email it sounds really snarky...that's not how I mean it. I'm just bugged by politics and the extreme wastefulness of campaign spending that could do wonders for our country, and support several small Central American nations. I love you to death!
Em
So I didn't send it. Aren't you proud of me? There's this part of me that wants to play devil's advocate just because EVERY PERSON I KNOW outside of school seems to think that the only way to be a good American and good Mormon, is to vote Republican. Always. Anyway. Rant ended.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think the end of this election is going to do wonders for the country's mood, no?
Even I'm getting sick of it.
I'm so impressed that you refrained. And I'm with you on this one. I'm so tired of politics.
I feel much the same when my family tries to include me in politics.
I find that usually when a person accuses all supporters of _________ to be ignorant and incapable of a coherent arguement such is generally true said person.
Post a Comment