Friday, July 11, 2008

Free time

So, I never thought too much free time would make me so crazy.

Ben and BeeBoo are out of town at the annual family reunion at Bethany Beach. I'm really bummed out because I don't get to go. It's really fun...the family rents out a bunch of beach houses, and we spend every morning on the beach under a huddle of beach umbrellas that serves as our little headquarters. Usually someone brings an inflatable pool for the babies/little ones, and everyone bobs on the waves out in the FREEZING cold water. It's (the water that is) never been above 73 degrees when I was there. That's cold. From what I hear, BeeBoo is liking the sand a lot, but going out in the water with her dad from time to time.

I've cleaned the house from top to bottom (it's probably cleaner than it's been in years), gone to Coldstone for ice cream, done both my French translations and studied for my exam, and watched more movies than we normally see in a month.

Oh, the movies are Osama, Bee Season, Radio, Intolerable Cruelty, Prime, The Bridges of Madison County. Radio was distinctly the best, Intolerable Cruelty the worst. Bee Season was fascinating and not what I expected it to be...T, you would love it, and mom you should watch it. Osama reminded me that pretty much only in the US should you expect a happy ending...I thought I need to learn more about Afghanistan before I try to watch another film like it. I enjoyed it, but felt very culturally ignorant.

I'm going to go to Borders to just bum around and read books about flowers, country houses, growing herbs, and orchards. It'll be super fun. Maybe I'll even splurge and get a steamer. Love those things!

I think the point of this post is that I've already forgotten how to be single. I can't imagine the transition people go through who move from married to single, especially with their kids. I mean, I even know this is only temporary, it's a vacation and there's no trauma involved, and I STILL don't know what to do with my time. Or how to cook for just myself. :-)

It's been a good week. Maybe I'll make a tradition of sending Ben off with the kids for a while...it can even be to do something I'm really envious of. Just to make me appreciate having them and how absorbed into my life they are.

2 comments:

Leah said...

I thought I would leave a comment on here to say hello (:
I miss you a lot. It was good spending time with you Ben and beeboo (; up in Michigan.
I'm glad to be home finally, I was really starting to miss everyone here. But now that I'm home, I miss the lake.. :( and the boat.

I hope you're finally over the sickness we all had. Ugh, Brendan and I got it, too, and it was not fun at all. I feel all better now, I'm just never hungry.

I hope things are good at home (:
Tell Ben the Mulhalls are very grateful for his help with the computer, it works great now!

I love you so much.
And miss you even more.
Come to Ohio ASAP (:

xoxo
-Leah

rantipoler said...

I totally understand being completely alone and trying to fill your time. I think that there's a huge difference between being single with roomies and being single and all by yourself. It's way more fun and not so mind-numbing with roomies!